What is a Pterodactyl Panel?
Pterodactyl panel is a web-based control panel for managing game servers and virtual private servers (VPS). It is designed to be user-friendly and easy to use, and it provides a range of features and tools for managing servers, including:
- Server management: Pterodactyl panel provides a dashboard for managing servers, including starting, stopping, and restarting servers, as well as viewing server logs and resource usage.
- Deployment: Pterodactyl panel provides tools for deploying and updating servers, including a built-in file manager and support for automatic updates.
- User management: Pterodactyl panel provides a user management system for creating and managing user accounts and permissions.
- Server monitoring: Pterodactyl panel provides real-time monitoring of server resources, such as CPU and memory usage, and allows administrators to set alerts for when resource usage exceeds certain thresholds.
- Customization: Pterodactyl panel allows administrators to customize the appearance and functionality of the panel using a range of customization options.
Pterodactyl panel is developed by Pterodactyl Software, Inc., and is available for a range of operating systems, including Linux, Windows, and macOS. It is open-source software, which means that the source code is freely available for anyone to view, modify, and distribute.
How to Install Pterodactyl Panel on Ubuntu
To install Pterodactyl panel on an Ubuntu system, you can follow these steps:
- Install the required dependencies:
apt update apt install -y curl gnupg2 lsb-release
This installs the
lsb-release packages, which are required to install Pterodactyl panel.
- Add the Pterodactyl repository:
echo "deb [arch=amd64] https://apt.pterodactyl.io/ubuntu $(lsb_release -cs) main" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/pterodactyl.list
This command adds the Pterodactyl repository to the system’s package sources.
- Add the Pterodactyl repository key:
curl https://apt.pterodactyl.io/pterodactyl.asc | apt-key add -
This command adds the Pterodactyl repository key, which is used to verify the authenticity of the packages.
- Update the package list:
This updates the package list to include the packages from the Pterodactyl repository.
- Install Pterodactyl panel:
apt install -y pterodactyl-panel
This installs the Pterodactyl panel package.
- Follow the prompts to complete the installation:
During the installation, you will be prompted to enter a database password and set up an administrator account for the panel. Follow the prompts to complete the installation.
- Access the panel:
After the installation is complete, you can access the panel by opening a web browser and going to
<server-ip> with the IP address of the system where you installed Pterodactyl panel.
Keep in mind that these steps assume that you are using the default package manager for Ubuntu,
apt, and that you have root access to the system.