What is xRDP for Ubuntu?
xRDP is an open-source Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) server for Ubuntu and other Linux operating systems. It allows users to remotely connect to a Ubuntu machine using RDP clients such as the built-in Remote Desktop Connection tool on Windows, or other RDP clients for Linux and Mac.
xRDP uses the Remote Frame Buffer protocol (RFB) to remotely connect to the Ubuntu machine’s desktop environment. This means that the user can interact with the Ubuntu machine as if they were physically sitting in front of it, using their own keyboard and mouse to control it. xrdp is useful for remote administration, remote support, and remote education.
How to Use xRDP on Ubuntu
Here is a step-by-step guide on how to set up and use xrdp on Ubuntu:
- First, install the xrdp package by running the following command in the terminal:
sudo apt-get install xrdp
- After the installation is complete, start the xrdp service by running the following command:
sudo service xrdp start
- Install the tigervnc-standalone-server package which is required by xrdp
sudo apt-get install tigervnc-standalone-server
- Next, install the xfce4 desktop environment, which is recommended for use with xrdp. You can do this by running the following command:
sudo apt-get install xfce4
- Now, you need to configure xrdp to use the Xfce desktop environment by editing the xrdp configuration file. You can do this by running the following command:
sudo nano /etc/xrdp/startwm.sh
- replace the line
- Restart the xrdp service to apply the changes
sudo service xrdp restart
- Now you should be able to connect to the Ubuntu machine using an RDP client. On Windows you can use the built-in Remote Desktop Connection tool, and on Linux and Mac, you can use rdesktop.
- You can also connect using Remote Desktop Connection from the Windows or Mac.
- And use your login credentials to connect to your Ubuntu machine remotely.
Please note that the above instructions are for Ubuntu version 18.04 and above, older version may have different package names or commands.
Please be careful when you copy and paste the command, as typing errors might cause unexpected behavior. Also, it’s important to keep your system updated, and back up your important data regularly.